Hotel De Ville Lyon
In the 17th century the councillors and council offices had offices inthe hotel de la Couronne but a decision was made rapidly to construct amore suitable building. So, between 1646 and 1672, S.Maupin wasresponsible for building a monument that reflected the ambitions of thecity of Lyon: he imagined four buildings around an entrance courtyard(opposite today's Opera house). In this courtyard a portico and a grandstaircase lead to the "cour d'honneur". The building was barelyfinished in 1674 when it caught fire and further financing andextensive re-decoration were needed. All the pavilions and the belfry(containing 65 bells) resisted reasonably well until the restorationstarted in 1700 under the guidance of J.H.Mansart who also improved theouter decor. A magnificent hemicycle-shaped portico decorated with Godsof the sea and a Cyclops was added in the "cour d'honneur". Mansartcompleted his design with the ancient architecture he so admired. Thedecoration of the main rooms, such as "la grandeur consulaire de Lyon"painted by T.Blanchet in 1660, was a source of great pride for the cityof Lyon and its councillors.